Sunday, March 16, 2014

Forest Hill Park, Richmond, VA

This morning we joined the Around Town Hounds for a walk at the urban Forest Hill Park in Richmond.  There are two entrances to the park--one at West Kent Avenue and 42nd Street and one at Forest Hill Avenue and 41st Street.
When the Friends of Forest Hill Park began researching the park’s history many years ago, they found a photograph from around 1910 that showed a man standing by the trolley tracks at the Forest Hill Amusement Park entrance on Forest Hill Avenue.
According to neighborhood legend, some time in the 1940s, during World War II, the iron letters were taken down as scrap iron “for the war effort” and the stucco columns were changed to brick. In 2006, the sign was replaced.
During the Works Progress Administration, unemployed craftsmen and stone masons were hired to pave the paths in the park with cobblestones and bricks. The hounds took advantage of the great stone path.

The walk through the 105 acre park is hilly--it is called Forest Hills after all!
There is a lake at the bottom of the hill that evidently used to hold quite an elaborate swimming area according to this old post card!
We had a large group of hounds crossing the bridge. This bridge enabled people to walk all the way around the lake.
There was a waterfall right under this bridge. It sounded pretty and could have looked pretty--but there was lots of trash in it so we didn't take a picture. What is wrong with people littering this beautiful park?
PG enjoyed strolling through the rocky park and listening to the water going over the stones!

Wish you were here,
Sammy & PG

1 comment:

  1. Looks like so much fun. Really will have to join a walk one of these days.